Thursday, October 13, 2011

Poignancy, Pathos, Triumph: How Beauty Feels


It's so important for writers to seek out and learn from other art forms: architecture, painting, music. In a recent TED talk, designer Richard Seymour explores the feeling of aesthetic beauty; he begins with a story about a watchmaker. A customer has brought in a watch to be cleaned, and when the watchmaker opens it, he discovers words etched into one of the watch's interior wheels. "Why on earth would the designer have bothered to put these words in a place nobody would ever see?" the customer asks.

"God sees it," replies the watchmaker.


Whatever your definition of God, this is a charged understanding. Do you struggle with  your own responsibility to the notion of beauty? Or is the idea of "making beauty" a burden? How does it feel to compromise on your standards? Are there aspects of your work that nobody but God will ever see? The idea reminds me quite a bit of Markus Zusak saying he would have written The Book Thief even if he knew in advance it would never be published.

Seymour identifies three aspects of aesthetic beauty that humans inevitably respond to: Poignancy, Pathos, and Triumph. Clearly these aspects should be kept in balance--too much pathos results in sentimentality; too much triumph is simply unbelievable; and any reader will eventually tire of wall-to-wall poignancy (exactly where humor can cut through the fluff, like adding acid and salt to an over-sweetened dish.)

If you haven't, check out Google's ArtProject here for further inspiration (James Elkins argues that too much reading stunts our visual sense, which we badly need as writers). Below is Seymour's 20-minute talk. He loses me when he waxes poetic on the motorcycle design (clearly not my thing), but the first half of the talk is riveting.

10 comments:

  1. Gail,

    Another GREAT post. You always get me thinking. And I'm a huge fan of TED talks -- inspiring good in the world.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture you opened the post with is quite something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forget where I read it, but this reminds me of something like artist dates, where writers seek out other disciplines -- going to the theatre, seeing a musical performance, attending an art show -- to activate the other creative senses and jumpstart our ability to capture imagery. It's so important to be well rounded as a writer -- not just well read, not just being open to new experiences but seeking them out as well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creativity is a wonderful thing! I've never thought much about how beauty FEELS, though. Interesting! But I have to agree--I'd create even if no one sees my work.

    Still, I have a desire to share my work with others, and maybe someday that will happen...even now, I'm happy that at least a FEW people have read my novels--critique partners, family, my agent. It's nice to share creativity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "God sees it." I really like that. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. Inspiration can come from so many different things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sarah, the painting is by Henri Rousseau. One time I copied this entire painting, brushstroke for brushstroke (at least, that was my intention, I'm not an artist). My copy hung in my apartment for a long time until I finally gave it away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the painting and the story. Beautiful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog site is pretty good! How was it made . I view something genuinely interesting about your site so I saved to my bookmarks . You can visit my locksmith Paddington

    ReplyDelete